Forums | Doing Theology and Church History

General discussion /
Richard Rohr: The Universal Christ

Greg Morgan's profile picture

23 June 2019, 1:16 PM

I have just finished Rohr's moving exploration of the Christ Mystery. So much to commend in this gentle contemplation of Rohr's incarnational theology. Makes you think about western and eastern worldviews and how we have been trained to read Paul. Also, I learned a bit about distinctly Franciscan theology.

'... once the real inner journey begins - once you come to know that in Christ, God is forever overcoming the gap between human and divine - the Christian path becomes less about climbing and performance, and more about descending, letting go, and unlearning.'

Rohr quite neatly uses the climbing and descending movements to identify imperatives in various aspects of the church.

Win Davies's profile picture

23 June 2019, 5:07 PM

I like the quotation!

Greg Morgan's profile picture

23 June 2019, 6:32 PM

This book is so alive with wisdom, Win. 

David Bell's profile picture

12 July 2019, 10:35 PM

Always interesting to bring Richard Rohr into focus. If you have the time I have just put up a video on our About page here. It uses the full spectrum, the breadth of Christian theology, to illustrate a number of perennial questions about the nature of existence and the Christian life.  What would be really interesting is to compare Richard Rohr, as Franciscan priest, with Richard Rorty, as analytical philosopher who rejected the idea that knowledge represented an independent reality separate from experience.

Stuart Manins's profile picture

23 June 2019, 6:48 PM

Just as I have come to believe in the universality of one god, so I have seen the same quality in the universal Christ. Inclusiveness rather than exclusivity fit better with my concept of God than their opposites.  Well done, Greg and Win. Your other comments follow on well from this base.

5 results